Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Seven-year-old skeptic

A catechist had been concerned about her son’s increasing questioning of religious teachings, and shared this: Tonight, just a few minutes ago, he came down worried about a nightmare, and I suggested that he ask his guardian angel to help him be brave. Half asleep, he mumbled "Not real ... you know that, mommy." But then, as he walked back upstairs, he stopped at the TV cabinet. On top of it were a few broken sheep from our atrium that I'd recently brought home to repair. And he picked one up and said, "Well, I guess I could bring this one to bed with me to remind me of the Good Shepherd.” So, there is something for my catechist's heart to ponder: Guardian Angel -- "not real." God -- "How can God exist?" But the Good Shepherd -- well, there's someone even a seven year old skeptic could make his peace with.

No comments: